Friday, August 11, 2006

As unique as you are

I proudly called myself a photographer, when I first held the camera in my hands. That was the early 90s, when mama wanted me to be a doctor and not a photographer. She would get furious, when I would ask her to get the rolls developed every now and then...it was a costly affair thosedays. As a kid, capturing moments in that small box amused me.

Today, I am drawn to photography for various other reasons. Now, I not just capture a moment, but a frame that has a subject and a background that creates a meaning in itself.

Once, I was rushing down the stairs with the camera hung around my neck, to get myself an ice cream, and I fell over. The camera broke into pieces and, my exploration into the world of images met an abrupt end. That was the last time when I held the camera. My mom got a good reason not to get it repaired. She was being fair, and I had to abide by her. Left with no choice I forgot that I had once called myself a photographer.

In times of trouble, I remember papa saying,
All good things come back to you, have patience

His words came true and in 2004 I got a chance to hold the camera again. It was a Manual SLR camera which I had never seen before. It was bulky, ugly, and too technical. It also had a lens mounted on top of it. I was annoyed with so much physics attached with it. My math is poor and I never understood physics. Words like focal length, aperture, and shutter speeds, ISO settings, Depth of Field, hit my head hard and wounded my dreams. I cannot learn photography - that was my first reaction. I tried to keep up with all the physics half-heartedly and ignoring the disastrous results. I latched on, till I noticed something about photography.

A bunch of students were asked to shoot the same subject. I was also a part of it. After the shoot, I saw that the output was surprisingly distinct. Each one of us had a difference in the way they looked at the subject.

Every frame is as unique as you are

What I thought (subtracting technical details) was significant was of the greatest importance. This is when I realized that the technique and the settings can be learnt by anyone. But, what really makes a photograph unique, is your perspective.

Realizing that, my approach has changed and my photographs stand out among the rest. Ever since, I trailed on my path to be a photographer once again.

Each time I click a picture, I learn a something new. Maybe not just about the camera, but also, about myself. With experience and practice comes confidence. Learning is an on-going process. Gone are the days when photography was considered technical. The digital era has made photography simpler. The camera is intelligent enough to help you make the settings (Auto-mode).

What you need is an idea that tells a story. For me, photography is a mirror I see myself in. Every frame is a reflection of my perspective about life and my photographs a collage of my experiences. My photography defines my thought and my thought defines my photography; the colors that are predominant in my composition explain the facets of my mood.

God is in the details and photography a medium to showcase these details


Photography is simple.

3 comments:

Piyush Aggarwal said...

I can see the typical Jazz in this whom I know for the last 2 years.Lost as ever, in her own dream world. Hey jazz your imagination is your canvas and you doesn't require any fuck all camera to paint your thoughts. For me you are the best photographer I have seen because your every frame is though taken outside in this superficial world but the actual image is formed somewhere deep inside your pure heart. That's what sets you apart.

KS said...

the mind of a photographer laid bare. great write up! nice blog :)

Aditya Kumar said...

I have always wanted to click beautiful photos, but seldom get successful in that. Someday I too plan to get myself a SLR camera. Maybe then I would be able to click better pictures. Or maybe not. I still have to find my perspective.

I was checking Abhijeet sir's profile on Facebook and I saw your blog. Like your way of writing.

with music playing in my ears i take one step at a time towards something new thinking times will change seasons come and go but heart...